About the Friends of the Wellington Town Belt
The Friends group was formed in 1995 to safeguard the Town Belt as a place of visual beauty and public recreation, and to assist in its management. We are an incorporated society.
Our aims and objectives are:
- Ensure the Wellington Town Belt is preserved as a special place for future generations;
- Preserve the legal status of the remaining Town Belt land;
- Encourage, where appropriate, the reinstatement or addition of land to the Wellington Town Belt;
- Oppose any misappropriations or misuse of Town Belt land.
Education and knowledge
- Encourage appreciation of, and research into, the historical, cultural, scientific, ecological, and recreational aspects of the Wellington Town Belt;
- Broaden knowledge of the Town Belt through publications, events, publicity and other appropriate means;
- Encourage residents and visitors to explore and enjoy the Town Belt;
- Promote the Town Belt as an attraction within Wellington city, recognised for its heritage value and beauty.
- Meet regularly with the Council to discuss Town Belt management issues and projects;
- Advocate management and development that is in keeping with the management plan and the founders’ intentions;
- Assist the Council, where possible, with on-the-ground development, maintenance and monitoring activities;
- In partnership with other groups and individuals, foster and sponsor special projects to restore and enhance the Wellington Town Belt.
- Promote membership of the Friends to all individuals and groups who treasure the Wellington Town Belt.